CAVITY BEAD INSULATION
What is bonded bead cavity wall insulation?
Expanded Polystyrene Beads (EPS)
Expanded Polystyrene Beads (EPS) are an effective method to insulate cavity walls. Polystyrene beads are pumped into the cavity of a wall with adhesive. The beads and glue set to form a rigid insulating barrier which significantly reduces the amount of heat lost through your walls (which accounts for 25% of heat lost through a house).
Bonded beads in a wall cavity
EPS bead cavity wall insulation will typically raise your home’s energy rating by one BER level, but as a BER is specific and unique to that one house and ever dwelling is unique, it cannot be guaranteed to make a level change.
How effective is bonded bead insulation?
The reduction in heat-loss through your walls is dependent on a number of factors including what your walls are made of (brick, stone, concrete blocks etc.) and how wide the cavity is (a wider cavity means a greater depth of insulation).
Heat loss through a wall is measured by its “U-Value” and we would expect the amount of heat lost to reduce by between 65% to 85% with bonded bead insulation.
Advantages of bonded bead insulation
Because bonded beads have excellent ‘flow’ characteristics substantially fewer drill holes are required when compared with other cavity fill systems.
The fluid nature of the system means that during installation the beads fill voids very effectively meaning it can be suitable for stone cavity walls.
Bonded beads give an excellent combination of price and performance. Installation work can be completed quickly and efficiently with a minimum of disruption.
Benefits of bonded bead insulation
Bonded bead insulation will reduce the amount of heat lost through your walls, which will make your:
• House heat up more quickly and retains heat overnight more effectively.
• Your fuel bills will be lower.
• Your BER will improve. Cavity wall insulation will typically improve your home’s rating.
• Your “carbon footprint” will be reduced. Carbon emissions for a typical four-bed house occupied by an average family, is reduced by around one tonne per year for the life of the house.
EPS beads have very good thermal properties and are water repellent, they do not rot or decay, and do not provide nutrient value for insects, parasites, or animal and plant life.
What is the pumped cavity wall insulation process?
1. A Green Air Technologies Insulation surveyor will arrange a home survey on your home to assess if your walls are suitable for pumped cavity wall insulation. The survey will check to see if you require additional wall ventilation and the depth of the cavity.
2. Our house surveyor will provide you with a written quotation, while also providing you information on how the SEAI home insulation grants are processed.
3. We will organise a time to do the work that will suit you.
4. The external walls of your house will be drilled with 22mm holes to the NSAI spacing requirement that ensures a full fill in the cavity wall.
5. The holes in the external wall will be pumped with our NSAI approved bonded bead cavity wall insulation. This is pumped into the cavity wall by compressed air.
6. The holes in the cavity wall will be then filled with coloured mortar to match the existing walls, this will ensure an airtight, waterproof seal to your house wall.
7. Pumped Cavity Wall Insulation will generally increase your house wall insulation by 50 -80%.
8. The Pumped Cavity wall insulation will provide you with a more comfortable home, while potentially increasing the value of your home.
Green Air Technologies – Call Fintan on 086 047 1053 now
Green Air Technologies Ltd, the Sligo based builders, was established in 2008 by Fintan Kearns to create a renewable energy company, offering Passive standard home builds, insulation, retro fit, extensions and renovations.
Brooks Business Centre,
071 915 3412